CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

FUN Readers

Saturday, February 16, 2008

NA NA NA..... NA NA NA....HEY, HEY,HEY... GOOD- BYE LAST BASKET BALL GAME



















We can sing the song "WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS..... WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS.....NO TIME FOR FOR LOSERS WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!! OK, I am a goof...YES, at times I get into to this Coaching a little too much :)

EVEN though we won 32 us 6 them...IT was an awful last game....NOT a fun one!!!! We played another private Catholic school, so we thought we would have some strong competition...THE REF was MEAN/UNFAIR...I swear he called 50 fouls on us and. 2 on them.....I felt like just because we were crushing them, we were getting picked on!! He would not just call a foul...He yelled at the girls and treated them like they were stupid...totally not called for the way he was acting!!! I then transformed out of a coach, but into a MAMA Lion protecting her cubs..... At this time I have the REF on the girls for everything and I am starting to get LIP from the other coach!! When you have a ref that is labeling my team as mean players you know the other coach is going to start thinking that the game is being played unfair...so lets team up on the winning team!!!! I really was trying to keep it together and try to block out the mean comments I was getting from the other coach.....BUT I snapped POW...."He kept looking over at me and yelling "this is unreal...this is not basketball"... I said no it is not,,, with the whistle being blown every second!! I called a time out, hoping to hold myself together...I get in our huddle and tell the girls IT"S OK...then I hear a YELL from behind me "to stop telling them that it is OK"...I whipped around and said "OK, you can say all your negative comments you want......BUT maybe you should worry on coaching your team, instead of what I am telling my team..he said quit telling them it is OK....I said, I am NOT telling them it is OK to foul (even though I would argue 3/4 of the calls that were made)....but it is OK and keep there heads in the game.... THEY ARE 4th graders and do not need you or the ref yelling at them and treating them like they are no good!! They are good, aggressive, smart players!!

The ref comes and pushes his way through our huddle and starts telling the girls they cannot play defense with their arms out wide and that they need to keep their arms in front of them against their stomach....I pushed my way in front of him and said YES you can play defense with your arms wide out as much as you want, as long as YOU DO NOT MAKE ANY PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THEM!!!


Their are 3 types of D....With the first one being just plain out want to kill/hurt/crush the other team (like the one team we played, that had every player crying) That is bad basketball!!!!!

The second being AGGRESSIVE and going after the ball where ever it is, where, here and there maybe slapping the other girls hand while trying to steal the ball (that is our team....not meaning to deliberately trying to hurt the other team, but trying to steal the ball) IT IS CALLED A INNOCENT FOUL!!!! YES, I know it is still a foul, but this ref would call a foul if one of my girls were trying to catch up with their opponent and brushed shoulder with someone (seriously that is how bad it was)

The third D is just pure LAZY D and that is not to guard your player at all and not be aggressive , because you can care less if you win or lose (that was their team today)....They did not have any players crying or any of their players complaining of any smack marks or nail scratches or any proof of our girls beating the shit out of them...YOU did not see the parents(from the other team) stand up and yell about the fouls!!!! .BUT the ref and coach thought we were this MEAN horrible, unfair team....THANK GOD WE WERE IN THE DRIVERS(winning) SEAT...OR I WOULD HAVE PSYCHED OUT :) So comments were shuffled back n fourth with 2 men against ME (I am glad I had my high heel boots on to make me look bigger to stand my ground :)

SO even though we had so many fouls called on us and the abuse we had to take...we still had our can of whip ass out and ran away with the VICTORY...SO that ref and coach can go do their after game POW WOW and report me of coaching my team to play rough (which they are not...just VERY talented, athletic, gifted girls) AND I am not kidding you they did go and talk to the score keeper and was telling him to report this game to the head of the league....( I walked up to him (the score keeper) and plain out asked him, if he thought Me and the team where mean and out of line....He smiled and said NO....just a good team...THAT IS ALL I WANTED TO HEAR!!!! It is funny how all the other games we played...the MEN coaches would come up to me after the game and shake my hand and say what a good, aggressive team we had and good coaching to me!!!! I just think that coach was a sore loser and the ref HATES woman :) OH WELL......WE will see if I get an email or a phone call from the League!!! I cannot believe 4th grade basketball is this stressful.....I WILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR, with my same coaching plan, AND my can of whip ass ready :) unless they give me the boot!!!

Thank you to everyone for the good luck wishes.. :) THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT :) ENJOY OUR PHOTO'S...

8 comments:

Marit C-L said...

Mel - Good for you! You AND your team rocked - way to NOT BACK DOWN. You are so much more than a coach - you are a teacher, a friend, a Mama Lion... wonderful. Roar! Congratulations on having a great team, being a great coach, and sticking up for WHAT'S RIGHT!

Eileen Swanson said...

Congrats! You are an awesome coach, motivator and of course mom ;-) I just love your kids, they are adorable!

E

Anonymous said...

Love the pics! Awesome job on a great season Mel.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great reading...

Kellye Mills said...

Congrtulations!! Aren't youth sports ridiculous these days?!

I'm glad you finished with win!!

Mira (Ivanovich) Lelovic said...

Congratulations on your win and an AWESOME season!

Trigirlpink said...

mother, splish suit maker, wife, coach, triathlete... you got it goin' on for sure!
BTW: Your kids are soooo very cute. All should be modeling for Gap Kids.

Brooke Myers said...

I used to watch my cousin play basketball and I couldn't believe how fricken tuff some of the Refs were and some of the parents too. You would think they were high schoolers.
Oh and yeah it seems whatever team is on top gets knocked by the refs. the most.. Sucky...

SOunds like they have a strong coach though (You) and a great mentor to keep them fighting to be their very best...