CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

FUN Readers

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

SCARY SCARY!!!!!



This is Mason he is my 2 year old who is full of energy....sweetest little boy, but very busy :) He is really scaring me lately and I have lost 2 days of sleep because of it....So I am posting this and hoping someone will have an answer for me or have experienced the same thing!!!! He is getting in the habit of opening the front door and wondering outside with SNOW on the ground YIKES...Yes it is a pain in the ass getting up and going outside and getting him but it was not really a big deal UNTIL the other night in the middle of the night when he was suppose to be in his crib sleeping...Todd got up to get a drink....Our bedroom is downstairs and the kids rooms are upstairs...anyways when he got up he noticed our front door open and he ran to Mason's room and he was not in there and ALL I could here is Todd yelling MASON and running around in a panic and then yelling "he is outside somewhere"...this is 12:30 a.m. My heart is pounding and I begin to freak out, so I jump out of bed and run upstairs and start to make a dash outside in the dark to find him and by this time Skylar(my 9 year old) is awake and she says "Mom, he is laying right there on the floor"....The little shit climbed out of his crib and must of unlocked the door (BOTH LOCKS) and opened the door and came and turned on the TV and laid on the floor and fell asleep!!!! I scooped him up and put him in his crib and we put a bench in front of the door......I laid in bed all night and could not sleep as all the bad thought were wandering in my head..."What IF he went outside and got hit by a car or someone kidnapped him or he was lost in the freezing weather and died in the snow" I laid there in the night with eyes wide open and listened to all the weird night sounds and I am sure it will be a repeat of no sleep tonight!!!! We have a child gate above the stairs that most adults can not open (but my 2 year old has it mastered) I lock the glass door and dead bolt the main door and he has mastered all 3 of locks....so for now I am only with the heavy bench option!!!! I might have to put another lock on the door that is up high so he can not reach it!!! I swear kids are so smart and cause us so much unneeded stress :) I am hoping this is a little phase he is going through and gets bored with it real quick!!!!

On to some good news...I think I am officially un sick...I did a 10 mile run yesterday and a 3 hour bike ride today and felt good on both...so I am back with a positive attitude of BRING IT ON :)

16 comments:

Jennifer Cunnane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Cunnane said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better! Sounds like you got some training in...

Okay since we both have tons of kids I have some ideas of what I had to use to keep my monkeys in their rooms, especially when all 3 still slept in the same room until age 3 Call me crazy, but if you have an alarm system in your home you could set up a motion detector leading on the stairs to the first floor (if 2 story home) or blocking the front door - do not laugh, I had to do this as wel!!! I had the same problems!!! I also had a locksmith change all the deadbolt locks in the home to a Key entry, meaning you had to use a key to lock and unlock versus just turn the knob.

I used these 2 options, other than that I am about to pee in my pants laughing because it's so unbelievable how smart your little boy already is.

Anonymous said...

Mel,
This sounds weird, but we had to get a crib tent for Graham when he was that age - I am assuming he is still in a crib? No? IF SO, they are at like Babies R Us and they just go over the top of the crib, so the babies can not climb out. Graham would always do it too - but never leave the house - they still (at 6) can not turn the locks on our doors....GOOD luck! Jen H.

Mira (Ivanovich) Lelovic said...

Ooh, never had that happen or heard of it. I say stick with the heaviest furniture you have until you get a high lock installed. Smart kid! You have to give him credit for that.

kerrie said...

wow, pretty scary!
well, you could always just have him sleep next to you ;)...we have had some issues to with lucie getting up and coming downstairs when she is napping with daddy - and he doesn't notice a thing.

i have a friend who reversed the doorknob and put the locking part on the outside(make sense?) when her little guy kept getting up and going down into the kitchen and in to everything in the middle of the night. might be what you need to do!
glad to hear you and back at the training :)

Anonymous said...

Dear lord my heart was pounding just reading that Mel! Never under estimate a two year told right? This totally sounds like something my son would do. I would stick with the bench in front of the door!

I'm glad you are feeling better! Crazy Mel is back, watch out world!

Pedergraham said...

Mel:
Yes, my heart rate was up to 180 when I read this. When we lived in Germany, the littlest girl and dog from downstairs were always getting out of the house and the yard...luckily it was teeny tiny town where everyone knew everyone and they would bring the pair home. The dad flipped all of the locks up but after two days they figured that out, so he ended up basically tying the front door and the gate shut with twine and an old belt. Could you try one of these: http://shopping.msn.com/prices/shp/?itemId=47589816
Good luck with this. I think Mason is saying he is ready for SPRING!

Trigirlpink said...

There is only one option Mel...

CAGE HIM.


lol...


glad you are back to your old training self.

Sam said...

A lock at the top of the doors would be what I would do. My little brother use to get out and run around naked when he was young.

Brooke Myers said...

My cousin used to sleep walk and do the same thing -he would be outside in my Uncle's car at night. their only option was all new locks - and ones that were up higher. An alarm system that would go off anytime doors or windows were being opened from the inside. They turned the system off during the day of course...
Eventually he just stopped waking up at night altogher...

Onto your trianing - nice work and glad the feeling good is back!

Kellye Mills said...

Wow! That is really scary! Well... the lock higher up on the door would be a good start. My sister-in-law did the tent thing. Sounds brutal, but it worked. For Cooper and Gracie my pediatrician recommended putting one of those door knob protectors on the inside of their bedroom door. My response was, "Well what if there's a fire or something?" And he said, "Well do you expect them to save themselves if there's a fire?!" Of course not!! :) It worked for my kids. Now as far as your little one is concerned, he may master that pretty easily, but it's a cheap try at something and all the other suggestions work too. Good luck!!

jahowie said...

That is very scary!! I like your idea of putting a lock up high where he can't reach it, but the little bugger is so smart that maybe he would get something to stand on. I'm glad that you are feeling better. Stay well.

Pedergraham said...

I just caught Lelia trying to sneak out her window rather than taking a nap. (Thank goodness this house has such creaky floors!) I thought we were safe from this behavior until they were teenagers!!!!
-Danielle

Wes said...

That would scare the bejeezus out of me! It's bad enough some nights I like awake listening to the creaking of the house, just knowing someone is inside :-(

I have deadbolts on my doors that require a key, no knobs!! A little more dangerous in case of a fire, but hey, I got 15+ windows downstairs to jump out of :-)

Eileen Swanson said...

OMG - so scary. Glad he is ok. Sorry, wish I had an answer. I am sure some of your tri blogging buds will have some good ideas.

Thanks so much for the awesome design, Dawn overnighted it to my in-laws place where we will be staying in SD. They received it today. YAY!

Love ya,
E

Marit C-L said...

Glad that you're back to your old Mel-self. So sorry that this happened - but everything worked out in the end, and he was okay, the hubby was okay, and YOU were okay. But still - very scary. I liked the tent idea that I read above. Also - placing a lock high up on the door where he can't reach it. The alarm would work well. You've got a brillian, although tenacious little one on your hands. Even though we don't have kids, my heart went out to you when I read this. Hang in there and good luck!