CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

FUN Readers

Thursday, March 6, 2008

The things we do for our kids :) Save the CRAB!!




I was running all over town last night trying to find Hermit Crab shells,....FUN.....We bought 2 Hermit Crabs in Virginia Beach 2 years ago...when I made the purchase I was pressured into it by the kids...and in my mind I was thinking these ugly things will live like WHAT 2 months MAX....WELL, 2 years later here we are still being their boring selves...These creatures do NOTHING..BORING and I could not wait until they died, as I am the one that has to take care of them!! So yesterday when I went to check on them....I see crab skin...crab claws and body parts..I was horrified and by my reaction here comes all 4 kids and Madison my just turned 5 started to lose it....So I pick up their little home/hut and there was A NAKED crab...He was ALIVE...he shed his old skin and claws and grew new....but he was out of his shell...I am in a panic..thinking this crab is going to freeze to death...Madison is screaming....MOM save him, don't let him die...So here's me in a panic jumping online to find out what the heck to do...this process he is going through is called "molting" kinda like PMS...but last longer and painful for the crabs (poor thing)...I was thinking I added stress by changing their sand to new sand and sometimes stress brings on them to come out of their shells!!! It was also saying the crab might need a bigger shell...and this crab is a big crab!! So I dash to the biggest pet store we have...thinking they would have bigger shells.....I get there and dash straight to the hermit crab supplies and can not find any shells...everything else,,,but NO SHELLS...SO I get a employee and say " Do you know much about Hermit Crabs" he say "a little" I went into tell him he had shed his skin and claws and now he is NAKED out of his shell...The employee says "OH..you need to get him back into his shell RIGHT AWAY" WELL NO SHIT!!..I need a bigger shell...he looks around and says "we must be out of them" NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!! I have a kids at home that are freaking out!!! So I think of another option..Walmart..NO LUCK..Meijers....NO LUCK.....I stop at one more pet store..SHELLS, but no bigger than the one I already have..The store employee didn't think they come any bigger..so I bought 3 shells thinking maybe he just doesn't like his anymore...plus I bought another heater for their tank...so $50.00 later I am on my way home to save the CRAB :) I put the new heater on and the new shells are in....but nothing has changed yet...This is sad..here I couldn't wait until these boring creatures died so I wouldn't have to take care of them...BUT now I am sad that I might not be able to save him,,,,I got up 4 times during the night to check on him and he is still alive and NAKED...I just don't know how long he will remain alive out of his shell...So wish us luck to save the CRAB Rainbow (his name) THAT IS HIM NAKED IN THE TOP PHOTO!! POOR THING!!!

8 comments:

Trigirlpink said...

Rainbow! Poor bugger.... I hope he shimmies back into a shell soon. I dig his groovy (previous) shell. You bought him a new heater too???
You are a good mommy, Mel. You don't have 4 kids, you have 5 to take care of. No wonder you're so damn busy chicka!

Prayers to rainbow dude.
e

Pedergraham said...

Mel:
I think that the hermit crab heard all the talk (complaints?) about Kate going to Florida without us, got confused, thought he was in Florida, and decided to work on his tan!
Supermom! Good luck to your little guy.
-Danielle

Kellye Mills said...

Ah... poor little thing! YES... you MUST save him if you can. You are a very good mom for trying! Come on Rainbow... PULL THROUGH!

Marni Sumbal, MS, RD said...

I'll put in a little crabby prayer..hang on there crab!!!!

kerrie said...

i had some as a kid and i remember then changing shells every once in a while...hopefully he finds one to his liking soon so that you can get some sleep!

jahowie said...

The things we do for our kids!! :-)

You must be a great Mom. Good luck.

Marit C-L said...

Mel - you have such a good heart...

Sam said...

Try something other then a shell, like a pill bottle. Poor guy.