CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

FUN Readers

Saturday, May 24, 2008

FINALLY...back on the bike

I finally got back on the bike today...I have not been on that thing since St. Croix....I did TRY to go for a ride one other day...BUT me and the boys headed out and my shoes would not lock into my pedals...so messing with it for 30 min...we finally figured out that the bike shop put the wrong cleats on my shoes....YES..I had to get new cleats on my shoes,because during the St. Croix race, right around when I hit the BEAST my left shoe broke and it was jammed into my pedal and would not come off...which left my shoe swiveling back and fourth for 35 miles....I had to end up using more pushing motion from my right leg....anyways the bike ride was a no go for me...I have it fixed now!!

Time to stop slackin and get back on that BIKE....... Todd, Eddie and I headed out for a nice bike ride...I can finally say I GOT INTO AERO position today..that was a big step for me :) I was in the back of the line messing around and trying some new things (gearing, aero position, taking death grip hands off bars, standing up, drinking ect...I think I was holding the boys up :)...but the ride for me today was just a joy ride..I was not out there trying to smash myself...I could totally tell that I have taken a break off the bike...I did not feel to zippy, and my crotch bone was killin :( but felt like I was getting a good workout in!!! I rode for 2hrs 20min and then Eddie and I ran for 40 min....The run for me felt great...I have been getting some good running in and I could feel the results today!!! Thanks for the good/kick ass workout today Todd and Eddie...it was fun!!!

We ended the day with a cook-out here and after a long workout I am sure you know what I mean...we ate like we were hungry animals :)

REDEMPTION TIME IS GETTING CLOSER (YIKES) This week I need to get some GOOD training in...Todd goes out of town next Friday to do the Boise 1/2 Ironman....Crunch time for me before he leaves....... I need to get the slacker butt a movin :)

19 comments:

kerrie said...

good for you for getting back out there! i find that just trying to stay as consistent as possible really helps-especially on the bike! wow, todd travels(and races)a lot!!!! what is the date of your next race(2 or 3 more weeks?)

Mel said...

June 8th...Racing for Recovery half Ironman in MI :)

Eileen Swanson said...

Sweet Mel! Nice work getting back in the saddle! OMG - I am going to meet your hubbie on June 1st. Tell him to look for me, ok? Promise!

Love ya,
E

BreeWee said...

YAY! back on the bike... way to go super woman! I wish you were coming to Hawaii 70.3

Have a blast kicking your butt in training!

Trigirlpink said...

Look Toddie... the girl's gotta have some sort of vice. Which would you it rather be.. Twinkies or Manolo Blahnik's? hee hee

Marit C-L said...

Way to go Mel! You are incredible!!! So happy to hear that you had a great ride, but sorry about the crotch... I can totally relate, after being out of the saddle for 8 weeks... :( Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Yay...back in the saddle! Way to work on those areo bars! Before you know it they will feel normal and natural. Plus being outside on the rode (even if it's just a joy ride) will help your bike handling skills. Way to go Super Mom!

Anonymous said...

BACK IN THE SADDLE! nice job, mel!! Aero bars are always scarey!! Glad you had FUN and a BBQ to eat at afterwards! How fun! GOOD luck in MI! And good luck to Todd @ Boise! Jen H. :)

rr said...

Mel, welcome back to your bike! :) Thanks for saying hi, and OMGoodness, your family is so gorgeous! I can't believe you have four, I don't know how I would survive with one more in the mix :)

Todd Crandell said...

Hey hon it was awesome riding with you yesterday. I am very proud of the work you put into all of this and it will be great to see you finish your first half ironman at our Racing for Recovery event.

It is great to not only see you taking care of yourself physically but I know this is helping you emotionally and mentally as well. Also it is great for our 4 amazing kids to see their parents out taking care of themselves. Now if I can just get you to stop buying junk food we would be ok lol.

Cy said...

Hey Mel-Over 2 hours in the saddle for your first ride back-Nice work!!

Love the kids photo at the top of the blog...goes very well with your blog title :-)

What's the Racing for Recovery Event? I've seen your Splish suit designs and I was wondering what "recovery" you were supporting.

Paul said...

Crazy that you had to bike like that for 35 miles!! Glad to see you are getting back on the bike. I found my way over here from Bree's!

-Paul

Dolphin Boy said...

Hey Mel....have a good week of training, stay positive & focused at the task at hand & you will rock in MI.

Thanks for the kind comments on Bree's recent post. She is an animal and I'm sure she would have been there for me! Me heart of gold? Somedays!! haha! thanks again.
Pat

Wes said...

I can't believe you broke your shoe in the race. That had to be some major suckage! How does the bike shop put the wrong cleats on your shoe? Hmmmmm... Idiots!! LOL!! I {heart} my bike shop!! No rest for the weary!!! Racing for Recovery HIM dead ahead! Woot!!

TriGirl Kate O said...

I doubt you've ever had a slacker butt! My long ride this weekend made me realize I need more conditioning in certain areas...I had forgotten what saddle sores feel like!
Can't believe that you made it through the St. Croix bike w/ a broken shoe--you are amazing!

jahowie said...

Way to get back out there on the bike. Over 2 hours on the bike and then a 40 minute run on top of that!! I'd say that you have your "slacker butt" in high gear already. :-)

Steve Stenzel said...

Congrats on the ride, and way to get into aero!!

Dolphin Boy said...

Don't forget to watch LOST on Thursday!!!

I'm going after it....someday, you'll see....

Sarah said...

YAAAAY MEL! I can't believe you rode for 35 miles with a broken cleat. You really are a strong woman!!

Good job for getting back on the bike and following with an awesome run. Keep it up and keep your chin up. :)