CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

FUN Readers

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"CHANCES" how many do we get or take????? How many meaning does such a powerful word mean????


This was my High school Graduation present from my Dad...I LOVED this car...it was a shiny Red, sporty, fast, fun, Firebird.......I had to beg for "this" car....My family grew up on Honda Accords...my Father was a manager at the Honda plant in Marysville OH...so he got free and discounted cars.....I wanted a RED sports car ;) Dad caved in (I should have stuck with the safe Honda;)


The Day is still a blur to me..I was 19 and on my way home from college. It was a bright sunny day, dry roads....I was a mile away from my house and BAM..I can not remember what happened...I woke up with people around my car banging and pulling on the door....I could hear talking but it was like out of a Charlie Brown cartoon (wahwahwah) then I faded back to sleep.....the next thing I woke up in an ambulance and (my ex-boyfriends) brother looking down at me and asking me my name (which I thought was strange...he KNOWS my name) and continued doing the 50 questions on me...he was doing anything to keep me from going back to sleep...then I FREAKED...I went up to my face to scratch and BLOOD everywhere (I had a white button down shirt on, which did not help any, when you are bleeding) I thought for sure I had lost my whole face....I was strapped to a bed and losing it!! I bet the paramedics wished I stayed a sleep : )

Luckily, I just needed some stitches in my face and not any plastic surgery...I almost lost my finger...so had stitches in 2 fingers and some torn skin of my hips and shoulder from the seat belt...I really do believe God was with me that day....at the age of 19, I NEVER wore my seat belt or sunglasses...BUT that day I had both on...which kept me from flying out of the car and the glasses kept the glass out of my eyes.....I found out in the hospital that I caused the crash and another guy was involved...I turned right in front of him while he was going 60mph...he was an older gentlemen doing his job driving a telephone utility truck....I was sobbing my eyes out knowing that I hurt someone else and all I wanted to do was go tell him how sorry I was ....my Dad said no because of lawsuit reasons........WELL later that night I get a call from the older, sweet gentleman and asking if I was OK, so I got the "chance" to tell him how sorry I was, even tho I to this day don't really understand what happened....I either fell asleep or was in a deep thought!!! I still battle with flash backs from the wreck.....anyone who is in a car with me...knows I cringe at snow, ice, rain, stops....I am a annoying passenger ; )


The whole point of this post is I was GIVEN another "chance" but I question how many "chances" do we get...really we live day by day and that is scary to me!!! The word "chance" can mean so many different terms....You could be stuck in a horrible/non-healthy relationship....do you take the "chance" of things getting better or do you take a "chance" of throwing it all away and starting new and maybe it would be wonderful or not???? When you are in a race and riding your bike "comfortably"..do you take the "chance" of not hitting your aimed time and being unhappy or do you take the "chance" of hammering out to reach your time, and HAPPY results!!!! Do you do smaller tri races, because you fear the swim on the longer course races, or do you take the "chance" and somehow make it through the swim,,,,,knowing once you are out of the water you are fine and DID it ; )


I have been thinking of all the "chances" I am given...I started back running since battling knee pain since October.......and while I am out there running...I think of my knee pain before it actually kicks in (I some times think I cause my own pain)...then I start thinking "why me" I need to be able to run...because that is when my "mind" is in a good place......Then the next day repeats itself...I think OK...I know if I run my knee will hurt..but it will clear my mind...DO I "chance"it or not???? Hell, ya I am going to "chance" it......I am lucky I have a knee to have pain in.....I think we get caught up with being too "COMFORTABLE " with life tasks and we are afraid of taking "chances" I am more of a "THINKER" than a "DOER" and I really want to change that in me...and by taking "chances" will help that!!!

We all get the "chance" to live and we would not know how to live if we don't take "chances" Some will be good and some will be bad....but we won't know unless we "CHANCE"
IT CAN MAKE US OR BREAK US!!!!!

17 comments:

Wes said...

I can answer that question quite easily. You are given as many chances as you deserve. Get to work :-)

Mira (Ivanovich) Lelovic said...

See, you didn't lose all your readers. I just stopped by here the other day as a matter of fact.

Very scary picture, and story. It wasn't God's will for you to go that day. Just like it wasn't mine to drown in that lake last year in Memphis. But those experiences teach us a lot, don't they?

Keep on runnin' and taking chances! Life would be too boring if you didn't.

Jen said...

Great post Mel! I'm still a loyal reader of your blog :)

Stay strong!

JC said...

Fantastic post! Very true!!! You are teaching your children good things by showing them it is important to take chances on things they really want in life.
Love the blog :)

Shelley said...

You'll figure out these "chances"..I'm sure..:-)

Chelley Klatt said...

Mel, I love your blog. As a person who has been given a "chance" so to speak, I think we have to live the life we have to the fullest. If you want a kick in the butt, give me a call :). It will only make you stronger!!!!

Mel said...

Chelley.....awwwww YES..I do need a kick in the BUTT...wanta go back to Fl with me ; )

Chelley Klatt said...

When are you ready to leave? All you have to do is say when.

Guess what I had on my door step tonight when I got home!?!? Yep, the greatest box ever!!!!! Thank you soooo much. I just love you Mel! You are the sweatest, most caring person. You truely are who we all think you are!!!

Miss you.

kerrie said...

wow - that is one powerful picture. i bet everytime you look at it, you get chills and realize the "chance" you were given. crazy. you are one lucky mama.

keep running :)

Damie said...

Yucky wreck, Mel. Glad you were given more chances for sure- there was certainly another plan for you. I hate to hear about you knee pain but I know you will work through it. By the way, that is ALL I wanted (actually, still want) but I am a camaro fan- Dave promised one day......

Laura said...

Wow Mel! That's a crazy story! Keep on taking chances and I think you'll keep on getting them.

Good luck with the knee pain. I know how that is! FB me if you want to hear what's been going on with mine. The exercises I've been doing are helping, I think.

Anonymous said...

HUMMMMMM.....Just Beautiful!!!!!:)

jahowie said...

Wow!! That had to be horrific. This is a great post!! When chances arise, sometime you have to stop thinking and just do it!! Some work out and some don't, that's all part of life I guess.

BreeWee said...

Holy COW Mel! That car is insane! I am so glad you are alive...everyday after walking away from that car wreck is a total gift! I'm not so sure it's a chance, but rather an opportunity...

Go live it up girl...

Anonymous said...

Your life is part of God's plan.
He only puts you through what he knows you can take....
No matter what chances a person
( you ) take He is always there....
and so am I.
(so serious - sorry)
I see the admirer is still here ... I'm assuming he's saying
your beautiful and not the car wreck!
I ran 1 mile ...now don't laugh
I'm a beginner ...a very slowww
beginner as you know.
~Tesa

Mel said...

Tesa..your the BEST:)...I am calling you tonight....I received your awesome card!!! THANK YOU.

AND Yahoo....for start running...get your ass in gear and join me...I need a running buddy...plus we NEED some bonding time!!

LUV YA xoxo

Marni Sumbal, MS, RD said...

Wow! What a story! so happy you made it out alive! Keep living each day to the fullest!
-marn