CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

FUN Readers

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Screw this...Screw that..."Yeah what she said"


The new BLING (tendon band)



I went on a little run today to test out my new "BLING" and I came across a boyfriend and girlfriend taking a smoke break behind their work place...(thanks for letting me inhale your poison..yuck) I believe they were in an argument...as she was loudly yelling "Screw this....Screw that"....YEAH that is MY motto for today:) After visiting my awesome Sports Doctor and discovering I have Chronic Patellar Tendonitis...WTH is that???....ya know how they go in their brainy Doctor terminology and as the good patient who acts "smart" and just gives them the ya nod but really has no f-in clue what they are talking about.....So when I got home I looked it up on the computer and here are some of the descriptions it gave me:


1. Patellar tendonitis is an injury that affects the tendon connecting your kneecap (patella) to your shinbone.:


2. Patellar tendonitis is a common overuse injury. It occurs when you place repeated stress on your patellar tendon. The stress results in tiny tears in the tendon, which your body attempts to repair. But as the tears in the tendon become more numerous, your body can't keep up, causing the inflammation in your tendon to worsen.


3. Because of the special nature of this kind of chronic patellar tendonitis the treatment is quite difficult to achieve. In fact, there are many instances when chronic patellar tendonitis treatment
has required the patient to have to spend as many as over two years getting the condition treated.


Surgery is often the only treatment option for those who suffer from chronic patellar tendonitis.


SOOOO....Really what does this mean...seriously I think they just slap a name on an injury and really don't know how to cure it....other than saying which my Doctor did laughing at me...I said so how we going to fix this and he said "DON"T RUN...haha!!!! SO being the good girl patient I went for a 8 mile run and wore my little tendon strap and put my Votaren Gel on and honestly it did not do SHIT...reached mile 3 and PAIN....... I will keep trying this damn band and see if I have any improvement.....I did get that nice BLOOD BLISTER(photo above) on my toe...because I got caught in a down pour WALKING.....back to screw this and that:)


I go back to the Doc....right after the race and we are going to discuss Platelet-Rich Plasma injections....he apparently did not want to discuss this with me just yet as it is not going to help me before the race and he doesn't want to scare me....and he said I will have to take time off training and it is quit painful....when I see the word Plasma...I KNOW THAT MEANS BLOOD...and that = OUCH......


QUESTIONS: Why wouldn't BOTH knees hurt I use them equally.....and I am not hard core at training as most people I know...I DO NOT train year around....so WHY aren't the people who are hard core runners and people who do Ironmans...why are they not all having this issue??? Huummmm!!!


So help me with a decision....I am battling with ....SHOULD I do the half Ironman distance for a good "training day" and to challenge myself with the down fall of suffering and shitty times (which I am OK with) OR should I do the Sprint distance and try and kick ass...but have the feeling " BIG DEAL".....I WILL get the photo with my kids either way...but if you were me would you go for the challenge or go for the trophy????






12 comments:

BreeWee said...

Tuff question... hmmm... yikes, partly I am thinking go kick some @$$ at a race you might be totally prepared for, go nail it and feel stoked that you just gave it your all and crossed the line feeling like a champ...

BUT if you can do the half and feel like a champ too, not GET MAD AT YOURSELF for not having your best day, then that might be a good challenge...

I think whatever you decide you won't go wrong (like you said, you have your children as trophy's)

Okay... as for the FBI hat/tops you asked about... I think I can score you one, I have your address, just give me some time... I'll see what I can do!

HUGS!
Bree

Shelley said...

Owwwieeeeeee..get that foot fixed!

Wes said...

I say keep it short and sweet until Augusta! Get that knee fixed!!!

Laura said...

Hey Mel - How much did he tell you about these Platelet-Rich Plasma injections? I haven't heard this as treatment for patellar tendonitis and the company I work for makes a product that isolates Platelet-Rich Plasma. Usually surgeons use it for total knee replacement to help enhance bone and soft tissue repair. I could try to investigate a little more and let you know what I find out if you want. You might want to have an idea of types of questions to ask before he just goes injecting stuff in your knee!

The Boring Runner said...

Long time lurker coming out of the shadows..... :)

I've actually had this condition for most of my running history (3 years). Check out my most recent race photos:

http://adamrisu.blogspot.com/2009/05/running-again.html

Anyway, I too only started out with one knee afflicted, but it soon spread to both. If I wear the straps, quite honestly, all is well. I've completed 5 marathons thus far with them on! However, I have looked into the possibility of orthotics to see if that will eliminate the need for the straps. If I forget them, I can only run 4 or 5 miles until my knees throb with pain.

Mel said...

Laura...thanks and yes please see if you could get some info for me...I really have not done much research on it..as I am trying other routes for now to get it cleared up...this was just mentioned as an option...
here is a little write up they did in The New York Times about Platelet Rich Plasma and the use of own blood to treat Knee tendinitis ...It has been used on some well known football players...
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/sports/17blood.html?_r=1

JC said...

Hey Lady,
That is a tough one! I say that if you are too sore to run a 10 mile run then go for the shorter distance and KICK BUTT!!! Regardless of what you choose, your kiddlets are going to be cheering THEIR MOM ON!!! They will be soooo proud you no matter what that day brings for you:)
And you will HOT in your Splish either way!
Oh about the training - ummmmI think my coaches take cheap drugs..LOL!!! I friggin ran 18.5 miles last week for my long run...and since I'm VERY new to the sport I just don't understand....the run as far as I know is ONLY 13.1 miles so why so many???? I guess they know what they are doing!!!
Keep us posted on what you decide and I hope that you heal quickly!

GoBigGreen said...

Hi Mel, you dont know me but....best bet IMO is to do the short and sweet, if augusta is your real goal, A race or just one you have your heart set on. Get your MD to give you a referral to PT. A PT ( yes I am a PT, so biased) tho it will take some time from your day..will do more than the MD did, and will take the time to figure out WHY you are having this, likely a muscle imbalance and likely as someone already said, could be from your foot strike coupled with your quads ( the big muscles on the front of your thigh) is overworking and pulling/causing friction where the Tendon to the quad inserts on your shin bone. Our glutes dont work enough running sometimes.
Ok blahlblahblah....ice ice ice. I wouldnt inject something in my knee, but then again that is just me....
Good luck:)
Julia

Trigirlpink said...

I'm staying outta this one sista!

Utimately, you must make your own choice and be happy with it. Either way, I'm backin' you skinny butt. :-)

Mira (Ivanovich) Lelovic said...

I think you should be smart and do the sprint. You don't have to prove anything to anyone. You already know you can finish a half-Ironman. If you do the half you could end up in worse shape and not able to do anything the rest of the summer. I don't think it's worth that risk. That's just my opinion, but I always tend to play things safe.

I've heard of the platelet injections, they use them for SI joint instability also. Have you seen a physical therapist yet? Have you had an MRI? I don't know your whole history with this knee problem, but I'd love to talk to you about it if you want to email or call me. I can ask some of the people I work with too.

jahowie said...

I would do the sprint distance. You can win it, and you don't need to be pushing that injury any further by doing the long race.

t-odd said...

Totally unrelated - Just read a great article about Todd and Racing for Recovery at CNN.com. He is doing a great job.

The blood blister looks good with with your nail polish - I'd keep it.

Hope your patellar mumbo jumbo starts to feel better. I'd do the sprint and grab that trophy. There will always be time for another challenge when you are feeling better.