CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

FUN Readers

Friday, September 26, 2008

The race is ON:)

This is how the run went down today and every other day:) I head out for my normal 10mile run same route down the bike path 5mile out to the University and 5 miles back!!! I rarely see too many runners...a lot of bikers, a lot of roller bladders, a lot of stroller walkers, and a lot of weirdos that I haven't figured out what they are doing (maybe smoking some dubies:)
I start off the first 6 miles in the low 7 min pace and then the 4 ending miles I walk and then sprint etc and for SOME REASON when I am TIRED at mile 8 1/2 and walking some guy (a different guy every time) comes out of NOWHERE and passes me...for some reason I can not have this....so I start running to catch the guy (who ever it is that day) and proceed to bust my ass just to win....just to remind you this is at the end of my 10 mile run..so I am tired and a sweaty mess:)
Today was no different at mile 81/2 I am walking and here comes a tall, in shape with a weird running form fly past me....shit not again..(I CAN"T LET HIM THINK I AM JUST A :WALKER".....so I catch him at the stop light he turns and looks at me and I look at him...no words JUST THE STARE:) It is just me and him...the light turns green and the GAME is on...he takes off and then I pass him before we even get across the street and I never look back....I just GO...he could be walking right now but I am still going to race him....I get to the 1/2 mile mark and I look at my watch and I am going 6:22 OH YEAH BABY.....but am starting to feel the heavy legs and my breathing is getting louder...he could be right behind me, but still not looking back:) I get to the end of my run which was my 10th mile and look at my watch I ran that 10th mile in 6:40 pace and I turn to look behind me he is way back there:) this is all I got done before he caught up (stopped watch....walked to my car...took Ipod off....grabbed my keys under my tire....got my purse out of the trunk....unlocked the car and then he was there...the STARE but no words...I really wanted to roll down my window and say "nice run"..but didn't know if he would be mad...so I drove to get coffee:) Who even knows if he was racing me but it was FUN and motivating to pretend he was:) Now if I can find some sucker to push me like that for my next race:) I have problems staying FOCUSED!!! These running "games" are turning into a lot of fun!!!! TRY THE GAMES!!!!!

17 comments:

BreeWee said...

ha ha ha, I am laughing so hard, maybe you ran through the doobies and got a little free speed!

I am sure we can find PLENTY of men to chase you in your 10K...

GREAT miles speedy Mel, nothing like smokin'! Ha ha ha, I am on a roll... ha ha ha You made me laugh today...

rr said...

You are so funny. I love racing the male ego.. and winning! Those times are smoking fast girl!!!

Wes said...

Too competitive for me!! LOL.. Definitely a super speedy peep!!!

Mira (Ivanovich) Lelovic said...

Wow, way to push the pace! Just race every person ahead of you in your next race. Your bound to win! Love that you took off for coffee immediately. The thought of Starbucks has been the highlight of so many of my workouts.

Melissa said...

Way to finish strong on your run!
Good luck with the IM decision. You'll be able to run everyone down at the end :-)

Anonymous said...

WHY AREN'T YOU IN VEGAS ???????
You could have left your mark on the SIN CITY race!!
~Tesa

Marit C-L said...

OMG - I did exactly the SAME thing this morning on my long run. I was running along and took the long way through the grove of trees on the bike path, when a runner who had been behind me took the shortcut and stayed on the road. And I was like NO WAY! And JUST as I was about to pass her, she looked back and started walking! WTF? Yes, it's great to have that "instinct" isn't it? Ha ha - glad you beat him! Awesome job!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Men - they are all the same - good job in shutting him up and passing him on a whim!

kerrie said...

i bet the guy was pissed, lol. no guy likes to get 'chicked' but it is just too much fun to pass up!

Damie said...

oh Mel. You are such a runner at heart. I love it. If only you could pass some of that competitiveness my way. I think I am going to try to start racing people daily, even if they don't know it. Maybe it will light a fire under my a$@. BTW, what do you have coming up- what race is next?

Steve Stenzel said...

Oh, to race against those people who pass you!

Born To Endure said...

Wish I could run like you girl!!!

jahowie said...

You are too funny!! You are an amazing runner. He never had a chance. :-) Nice job kicking his ass.

Trigirlpink said...

That would be a TGP thing.. not even hesitating to roll that window down to say "nice run!"

unfortunately I'm not clocking any 6 anything pace these days (sigh)

Anonymous said...

Why would any guy even THINK about passing you (referencing your last picture). The view from behind would be too awesome to pass!

Dolphin Boy said...

I was running 7miles on Sunday up & down Alii Drive. Then was forced to walk. Something popped in my right foot. next thing I know Bree drives by in her car laughing her ass off at me for walking!!! she almost wrecked her car laughing so hard. I will never walk again. Bree is dead!

Nice pace Mel. I do the samething with girls on Ali'i Drive!!LOL

Mary Eggers said...

I *HEART* you MEL!!! You know why! I am forever indebted to YOU! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!maryeggers@gmail.com