CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

FUN Readers

Sunday, February 15, 2009

We did it..we won the league and tournament title :)



IT'S ALL ABOUT BELIEVING IN SOMEONE AND TELLING THEM THEY CAN DO IT!!

I don't know why I get so nervous before a game....it feels like the old days of sickness to my stomach right before a big game.....the difference is I AM NOT EVEN PLAYING..I am doing the yelling...the coaching...


I LOVE my team of girls...they are full of character...there is never a dull moment with these girls..they are CRAZY and tough..my perfect fit:) I am sure they are pretty comfortable with me as they all seem to tell me their girl secrets and we are always talking fashion...some times I step out of my coaching duties and turn into their Mom...as at this age the girls are starting to get into the BOYS (except for my daughter Skylar...as I would beat her:)ha....I of course start the lecture of boys are trouble and they are too talented of girls to have their minds on stinky boys..they need to worry about school grades and the ability to perform in sports,,,,NOTHING else!! So I go on with my lecture and some, I think it sinks in and others they care less what I have to say...."They like the BOYS"

Our practices are full of laughter..drama...and fights...cussing (from me) oh and dancing : ) my goal as a coach was first for the girls were to have fun..second was to build confidence within themselves....third was to work as a team and build off of each other.....I would say I am a hard coach as I don't like slackers..I want full effort...I stress that at every practice if you don't want to learn the plays or set the screen..then I don't want you out there playing...It takes ONE player to screw the team efforts of running a play...I don't believe in walking on the court...I LOVE fouls that means you are aggressive....I want every girl to be comfortable with taking the ball to the basket and taking the shot..I know when I was younger that is one thing of many my coach lacked and that was making me comfortable of taking control of the ball and have the confidence in taking a shot..I DID NOT believe in my abilities on offence..My rule is if you are close to the basket SHOOT THE BALL..no passing it off, ....I would say 8 out of my 10 girls are confidence in their shooting and the other 2 are getting there....total improvements for all!!


We ended our season today...we WON the league championship with a record of 12-1 and then we won the tournament championship this weekend.....going into the tourneys this weekend we knew we already owned one trophy and we wanted the second one just as bad...but as any tournament goes (even if you are the better team) you never know the twist and turns....and with the refs not really being on my side today...it turned into a back n fourth battle....it seemed like the ref's were gaining up on my team and made some horrible calls and if the league would have another title of "the loudest coach" I would for sure WIN....The ref called it our ball and the other coach from opposite team start to whine and said we fouled..so the ref then changed his mind and gave it to the other team WTF...I went nutso...you can't give us the ball and just because the other coach is crying change your mind...he told me to "Shut up" and gave the other team the ball.....seriously this is the crap I deal with as coaching...and some times I feel like it is because I am a GIRL coach (what do we know)...but you know what.... my team is awesome and held it together even with sucky calls...we knew what worked for us and that was the teams SPEED and TOUGHNESS and CONFIDENCE of taking the ball to the basket and shooting.....the girls totally earned both trophies and I am so proud of how they all became ONE!!!
I am sooooo Proud of Skylar and I feel bad at times.... I get a little hard on her...but she is tough and blows me off...Ha...love you baby: )
Whats next?????? Well, the league decided to pick up another session of basketball and I have been elected to coach again..I really was not planning on it as I am a little burned out and busy..but I love these girls....so as a team we will be :)

Enjoy our fun times with us:)

18 comments:

Pedergraham said...

Congrats to you and your girls, Mel. I am remembering that advice about stinky boys to pass on in another few years!

Laura said...

Congratulations Mel (and Skylar)! You sound like a really awesome coach - for basketball and to help build the girls' confidence in themselves for life. I remember the coach from John's Hopkins coming to a practice of mine in middle school and giving us the advice - books, basketball, boys - in that order! It was what she told her players too, and I followed it.

Oh, and I agree about building confidence in each player's abilities - I wish I had a coach like you when I was learning to play. I probably would have been much more confident in high school ball if I had! :)

Jen said...

Yea! Nice job!

Ward said...

Way to go Mel and team! Do I smell a new career change.. Maybe you go work for the University of Tennessee?

Shan said...

YEAH!! That is SO awesome! I can imagine that you are an amazing coach, Mel!!!! :)

kerri said...

Congratulations MEL, whew sounds like you are one tough coach. Way to go. Take care.

Wes said...

You know, Mel, you really sound like a well rounded coach. You have everything covered, and not just from the sports aspect. I love that. Congratulations on your win!! It is well deserved, I am sure!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome job Melissa! Congrats to you and your girls on an outstanding season!

Damie said...

I love your style of coaching! I agree with your philosphy- I try to follow the same with the girls I have coached in soccer...confidence! :) Great job....these girls will have wonderful memories of you their whole lives. My childhood coaches mean the world to me (well, the one's that treated me with kindness and respect :)

Jennifer Harrison said...

Hey Mel,
OHHHH, I want to go back and play bball! My kids are not into BBAll yet...CONGRATS to your team & the girls and you, coach! Nice work and keeping it fun.

Steve Stenzel said...

Congrats to EVERYONE!! That's great news!!! YAY!!

Trigirlpink said...

It's all about the coaching.. well a big part! Nice job sista and the team as well! :-)

Anonymous said...

Great job for both you and Skylar !
~Tesa

Chelley Klatt said...

Mel,

Once again you show what a great Mom and roll model you are for your kids.

The kids and Skylar are very luck to have you!

BreeWee said...

NOW that is what I am talking about!

Anonymous said...

You r smokin hot!!!!!

Anonymous said...

More MILF pictures please!

Mel said...

OK...Anonymous....you are getting me in trouble with your MILF pic request...(my husband is NOT liking you) I don't know exactly what kind of photo's you are looking for...but you might be better off picking up the next Playboy mag...because here you are only going to get photo's of me and my kids or me doing racing!!!

If you actually enjoy what I write then I welcome you here...but if you are only here in hoping of something else...I think you can spend you time in a better place!!

Peace,
Melissa